David and I spent our Thanksgiving weekend with wonderful friends in Little Rock. I will post pictures later. This post is long but it was an interesting day for us.
On our drive home Sunday afternoon we had a different experience. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up David was geting off the freeway and turning around. He had missed the exit we were supposed to take to put us onto the other freeway. We got the right exit and had been driving for about 20-30 minutes. We were only 2-1 1/2 hours away from home. It was raining pretty good and David and I noticed that the car in front of us was slowing down and we saw a car off the road to our right. It had just slid off the road and slammed into the beam under the under pass. It probably happened 1 minute earlier. We saw a man get out of his car running to the other car. David pulled over and we got out to see if there was anyway to help. As we ran to the car a woman was calling 911. She yelled out to David and asked where we were. We knew the highway we were on but that was it. David ran up the road a little ways to the closest mile marker to give them a better idea of where the accident happened. Another man had stopped to help and they were trying to open the doors. They finally got the passenger side opened as the drivers side was completely mangled. There was a couple in the car and neither one of them were moving. It was the strangest feeling to see this happening before you. Neither one of us can describe it. The womans leg started twitching and she opened her eyes. You could tell that she didn't know where she was or what had happened. We were all just glad to see her moving. Her husbands legs were stuck where the car had crashed in and he finally started moving his hands but neither one was coherent. A lady pulled over who was an ER nurse and started helping. The first man that had run to the car asked if anyone had a knife. They were trying to cut the seat belt off the husband. For some odd reason, I brought one of our heavy duty kitchen knives with us (we did prepare food over the weekend but our friends had a full kitchen, weird I know). David ran to the car, grabbed it and brought it back. The man was able to cut the seat belt loose and the nurse was better able to see how he was doing. A SUV that is with the fire department got their first. He let the nurse continue what she was doing. David helped the nurse and held the oxygen tank and gave her other equipment as she asked for it. We soon learned that the man who first ran to the car and the woman that called 911 was the drivers parents. The dad was in "dad" mode, he was doing everything he could to try and get his son out. I was trying to talk to the mom. She was crying, worrying, trying to get information. She had so many emotions going through her. I felt so bad for them. I looked over at David and we stared at each other for a second. It was a very different situation. The ambulance finally got there and they were able to move the woman and get her on a stretcher. The woman started realizing what had happened to her and you could hear her screaming. After moving the woman they were actually able to get the man out. They thought they were going to have to use the "jaws of life" to free his legs. After talking to some of the firfighters it sounds like they are going to be okay. David and I were able to wash our hands and then David had to get a band-aid for his arm. We walked back to the car soaking wet. We turned the heat up and started heading for home. We were both really quiet for awhile. Then when we started talking we wondered why I thought to bring a knife on our trip. David wondered why we he missed his exit. He had the directions in his hands the whole time. But if David hadn't missed his exit we would have been about 20-30 minutes ahead of the accident. It was a very different experience for both of us. It makes you think about family and friends though. I am so grateful for David and all that he has done for our family. We, and our families, have truly been blessed and I am so grateful for that. We will be keeping that family in our prayers tonight.
3 comments:
Holy Cow, I first thought to myselft see they should have stayed here longer like I kept asking them to. but then as I continued on I relized you were meant to be there to help that family out. What I blessing for that family. And all that time i just thought you were making me want that awsome knife. LOL I am so glad you guys were ok you had me worried for a second. Once again thanks for coming we had so much and I really miss you guys a ton.
Wow! What an amazing story. I'm glad everyone was okay and lucky for them you guys were able to help. We missed you at Thanksgiving, but can't wait to see you in 24 days!!!
What a powerful story! Everything happens for a reason, how blessed were those people to have you there!
Post a Comment